Friday, March 26, 2010

Pre-K, 4K, First Step, K4...does it matter?

Should I concern myself with the fact that I can't enroll Ankica in an "at school, ride the bus two days a week" kind of preschool? Will she be behind?

I found myself at the parents meeting tonight wanting Ankica to go to the pre-K school in Platteville. It sounded fun and it sounded like they did neat things with phonics and math (even if they did have to sleep on rugs and not cots). At the same time I was only minorly disappointed when the open enrollment date was mentioned...January 31st. It already passed and I didn't know I need to know it until about two days ago and even then it didn't register that it was too late for Ankica to enroll for this September.

Ah well. I think another year at the Children's Center with her sister nearby will be good. And if I decide to enroll Lillian next year (she will make the 4K deadline by 2 days), then they will both be attempting the bus thing together and it might make the whole traumatic experience a little easier on their mommy. Might...key word there.

And this from someone that wasn't going to work until it was time to put them in kindergarten. But when I hear Lillian singing the days of the week song and counting to 13 and Ankica spelling Julia's name on a regular basis, well...I don't think I would have thought to teach them those things so early. I know homeschooled kids tend to do WAY better than public schooled kids, but I also know some of the reasons behind it, and I hope I can be more involved in my kids' public school education so that they can reach some of the heights that I aspire them too :-)

(I can't help it...violin, cello, guitar, drums, piano, Spanish, French, Latin...sign language...knitting, crocheting, baking, cross-stitch...volleyball, basketball, karate...riding, swimming, hunting...Academic Quadrathlon, Olympic Pentathlon...you know...the USUAL kid stuff :-) )

No comments: