Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dairy Products

I feel like all I think about these days is Dairy Products. Not for eating so much as for making or talking about or "dissecting". I have to teach Dairy Products Analysis and Processing and I have never even HAD a dairy products course before, let alone taught one.

So I am assigning cheeses to my students and figuring out what cheese factories to tour (there are three in a 10 mile radius alone here...don't even get me started on the 30 mile radius). This afternoon we are going in to the lab so I can do the next lab before I have to teach it to the students. We will be attempting to get the pasteurizer set up and separate cream from milk. I don't have raw milk right now so I will have to use whole from the store...similar but not the same.

And we talk about milk chemistry and I have to try to remember what things I taught to my Biology of Lactation class and which things I talk to Dairy Products and half of the class is in both of my classes and the classes run from 12-1 and then 2-3 MW so they get plenty sick of hearing me talk.

So, what's your favorite cheese? I love BRICK myself. Can't stand brie or feta or blue...ICK!

3 comments:

Jawan said...

Ummmm....good 'ole cheddar is my favorite...sharp!

You're so cheesy.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I spend my whole life AVOIDING dairy. sigh. Right now my favorite cheese is the kind I get to eat. But preference wise, I love feta (mmm on pizza mmm) and blue cheese in dressing, but not by itself. I like aged cheddar, dubliner, cream cheese (does that count) fresh Parmesan (not shaken from a jar. ugh) so yeah. I just like cheese.

Anonymous said...

I've never met a cheese I didn't like! Along with ranch dressing and seasoned salt, no meal is complete without some kind of cheese :)