Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Vacation and Snow


I hate to say it but this is what I have been missing for about five years. Well, I guess there are layers to it. First, I have been missing the idea of Christmas vacation...the time off after a hard semester of work. I barely remember a time when I wasn't working on the semester schedule. It wasn't until after Ankica was born that I had a year round vacation from school. Now that I am back at it, it is sweet.

The second thing about today was the snow. It is snowing at a medium rate this morning and it looks like a snowglobe when we look outside. There was a bit of a blizzard two weeks ago so there was snow on the ground already but this week being the week of Christmas and with snow in the forecast for most of the days this week INCLUDING Christmas, well, it is just RIGHT for our first Christmas in Wisconsin as a family.

The next thing is the girls. Having them at an age where they want to go outside and play in the snow (sort of) is just the kind of thing I was waiting for. We were out early this morning because I got tired of the begging from the girls AND the dogs. The dogs were playing and enjoying the snow while I was holding Lillian's hand. She wasn't too keen on the deep snow in the backyard but Ankica was making snow angels. Suddenly Riley took me out at the knees and down I went. Thank goodness for the deep soft snow! Lillian was frantic but I just laughed :-) We were outside for a total of 15 minutes but everyone is suitably tired and the itch has been scratched.

At least for the morning.

No comments: