Monday, March 22, 2010

Go ahead and add some fat!

Did you know that adding some form of fat to your leafy green and vegetably good salad is good for you?

I am trying to be better about how I eat now that I am attempting this Weight Watchers thing again and I am also doing it for my family (especially the girls).

Doing some research today, I found some information that I should have known but just never made the connection:

Adding some fat (even a small amount of creamy white salad dressing) is good for a salad because it enables you to better absorb the fat-soluble vitamins (Vitamins A, D, E, and K) in the vegetables!

How is it that I can teach the nutrition section of my Introduction to Animal Science course or talk about what happens when we put milk through a separator in my Dairy Products course and never put the knowledge of fat and the fat-soluble vitamin to practical use in my own diet? :-)

(Eating healthy is so much easier at work than at home! One serving of cheese is all I bring and that is all I can have...but at home...watch out! Spring Break did NOTHING for my diet...I mean, "my better way of eating and exercising" :-) )

No comments: