Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hello, my name is Dr. Montgomery and I will be your teacher...

The other day I finally got the email I was waiting for and now I wish I hadn't :-)

I had emailed the other dairy science professor at UWP and inquired as to what classes I would be teaching so that I can start preparing (at some point) before the semester starts.

So he emailed me back and I hoped it was a joke. I have on my plate for this fall semester two of the biggest classes in the department and the most hated senior level class. I love being low man on the totem pole.

The classes are Introduction to Animal Science, Introduction to Dairy Science, and Seminar in Animal Science and Biotechnology.

The good news is that I took Intro to Animal Science when I was an undergrad and my first assignment as a graduate teaching assistant in Maryland was the Intro to Animal Science class. The bad news is that now I will be responsible for the lecture and both of the labs. There are no TAs at a teaching university like UW-Platteville :-)

The bad news is that I never actually took an Intro to Dairy Science class in my life because I was an equine (horse) science major for my undergrad. Those kids probably know more practical stuff than I do right now...yikes! The good news is no lab sections!

The bad news is that I have never taught anything like the seminar class. The good news is that I am an award winning seminar and presentation creator.

The really good news is that I am getting supremely excited about this opportunity. Is this not what I dreamed about as I sat in Dr. George's Anatomy and Physiology class at UW-River Falls my junior year in college? (The answer is yes, BTW.)

I didn't know at the time what it would take to get a Ph.D. (at the time I was gonna be a vet). I didn't know at the time that my journey would take me through Maryland, Illinois, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Georgia. I didn't know that I would fall in love over the internet and move across the country to get married with only three weeks of prep time. I didn't know that I would have two babies in rapid succession after getting married. I didn't know that I would find a church that I love so much I will be an absolute mess when I have to leave.

I didn't know that God could be so good. Praise Jesus, praise Jesus, praise Jesus. He is good and faithful and I deserve death but He is giving me this amazing life with all of its wonderful opportunities. What is there not to love about that?

No comments: