Monday, June 8, 2009

We have a place to live

Once again, the right thing came along at the right time. Our God is so good!

Because Loran got news on Friday that the telecommuting job he was hoping to bring with him from Georgia to Wisconsin wasn't going to work, I was getting a bit down.

I spend so much time and energy getting my hopes up for this and that and then when it falls through, I get rather depressed. It is so human and a result of all of the stress that comes with such a big move and the new job and the struggle we are having with the situation of a certain 9 year old.

Then I settle down with the help of my very practical husband (he has been through his share of stress and knows how to handle both the stress and his overly emotional wife...yet another of God's providence in my life...how long did I long for the wrong guy?).

So Saturday morning I woke up with the desire to google some rental sites. Nothing was coming up so I googled Platteville real estate companies. One of those companies had a link to their RentConnect page. All it was was an Excel spreadsheet with rentals in the area. But there it was...4 bedrooms and maybe pets just 10 minutes east of Platteville. I waited until 9am their time and called. And yesterday we signed a lease for the place!


The rent was actually EXACTLY what I had budgeted for. They are only charging a $50 refundable pet fee and ALL of the pets are acceptable to them. The house is 2600 sq ft and is up for sale so we got to see pictures of the place online before agreeing to the lease terms. Probably best of all is that the owners understand our situation and are willing to do a two month lease so that if we find a house we want to buy before school starts, we are locked into the rental. There will be a six month option after that if we so desire.

Because I am going to be a professor at UWP, the owners were also willing to take the application process on faith: no references or credit check. Not that we would have a problem with either one of those things, but it is really cool to be moving to an area where my position means something. Very different from the difficulty I had convincing businesses and schools in Columbus Georgia that my PhD meant anything at all.

I love that the town (Belmont Wisconsin) has some fun summer festivities like Brass and Brats.
We will be able to see the Vietnam Moving Wall in Platteville in July.
We will be able to go on vacation with my family at the beginning of August.
I love that we will be attending GracePoint EPC on June 28th.
I love that Loran has four weeks off to help us settle in before coming back to GA to finish up his work here.
I love that we will be able to go see the Infantry Museum before we leave Columbus. (I will need some kleenex for both Loran and myself, I think...oooh I can't wait!)
I am SOOO happy to be able to see Coralie's baby before we have to leave :-)

Mostly, I love that we will have a place for the moving van to put our stuff when it arrives in Wisconsin a few days after we do. Can you say, Peace of mind?

1 comment:

heather said...

Rejoicing with you! We are bummed to be missing the opening of the Infantry Museum. Glad you are able to see it!