Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lucchetti d'amore

Love locks.

Have you heard of it?

My sister's husband's parents (John and Nancy Holte) went on a mission trip to Russia recently and on a day that coincided with their 34th anniversary they walked over a bridge that had a bunch of these love locks.

The phenomenon apparently started in Rome, Italy and has moved to a lot of other bridges in Europe and maybe even the United States. I think there will be one soon on a bridge near Belmont Wisconsin.

Anyway, when a couple gets married, or has an anniversary or whatever occasion they choose, they buy a padlock and have it engraved with their names and the date and anything else that means something to them. They them secure the lock onto a part of the bridge and throw the key into the water below, locking them together forever. I thought it was such a beautiful symbolic gesture that I wanted to share it with you all.

1 comment:

From My Position said...

That rocks. I'm thinking a big ol' padlock on the bridge over the Mississippi. The big river will carry the key all the way down to the Gulf, where it will wash out to sea and be lost forever.

As it should be.