Thursday, September 4, 2008

THE Speech

I stayed up last night to watch the speech given by Governor Sarah Palin.

I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I suddenly realized that there could be a woman vice-president and I was impressed with what I saw and heard.

I laughed when she pointed out flaws in the opposition. I cried when she came on stage to a thunderous applause. I cried when she mentioned being an advocate for special needs children. I cried when she talked about John McCain's service to our country and retold a bit of Mo's story. I laughed when she said she sold the luxury jet that was reserved for the Governor of Alaska on EBAY :-)

I know she didn't write the speech, but like so many others who watched the speech last night, I was impressed by her poise and her power and her fervor. She is a REAL mom, with REAL issues. Her son is deploying to Iraq, her oldest daughter is unwed (currently) and pregnant, she has a spit-fire for a youngest daughter, and her youngest son has Down Syndrome and won't even be a year old when she might take over as Vice President.

Her family is obviously close-knit and when they got on stage when Governor Palin was done with her speech, I cried. When John McCain came out on stage and announced that they made a good decision, I cried again.

I really liked what Rudy Guiliani said too, but one of his best lines was this: he said HOW DARE THEY question Palin's ability to do her job AND be a good mother. When have they (Dem or Rep) EVER questioned a man's ability to do his job and be a good father at the same time? Cindy McCain was shown repeating Guiliani's words after he spoke them..."How Dare They".

I don't know what is going happen over the next few months, especially come November 4th, but I know what I hope for right now, after last night. I know what I believe in and I know which candidate comes closest to those same beliefs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tera--Kacie's Mom here...it was a stretch for me to stay up that late last night too, but oh I'm so glad I did...I liked her before her speech but am thrilled at what she said and how it came off too...I couldn't have said what you said any better!!! Go Rudy for saying how dare they, for Sarah is such a breath of fresh air and I'm certain she is a great Mom and have no doubt she will do just fine against the good ole boys in the debates...she's already accomplished a lot in Alaska...yippee--Go Sarah!!! Joni M

Anonymous said...

I was working so I missed the speech, but it sounds like it was a great one!Dennis stayed up to watch it and he was really impressed too!Love jo