Thursday, February 12, 2009

And the answer is...

It is an osmotic pump :-)

For my photoperiod research, I placed the hormone prolactin, dissolved in liquid, into the inside of the pump.

The pump worked by taking in water from the animal's body and slowly releasing the hormone over the course of two weeks.

It was the first animal surgical procedure that I got to do all by myself. I used a local to numb the skin and then made an incision in the skin on the shoulder of the calf, inserted the pump under the skin, and stapled him back up. Then I took blood samples throughout the day to test for the presence of the prolactin and to see how it impacted their immune system.

I loved the outcomes of these experiments, they were just as we predicted and that is always fun!

2 comments:

From My Position said...

Osmotics... wasn't that Donnie and Marie's first band back in the 70s?

Jodi said...

that was going to be my second guess!