Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Lucky Charms Room

Well, we finally got a big addition to the girls' room done today...the fan. So now I am going to show off one of my favorite rooms in the house. Because we didn't get to paint the "nursery" in the rental house we were in for the births of Ankica and Lillian, I went "all out" when moved in to our own house. I couldn't decide on a theme or a color so I figured a different color for each wall would be easy and cute. The more I thought about the colors, and after eating lots of Lucky Charms with Julia, I realized that adding some of the old Charm shapes would be really cute.




The first thing I did was paint the six "walls" pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Then I made a stencil for the top border and this is how those things turned out.




At one of the hobby stores, I found a bunch of plain wood extras for the room, painted them white and added the charms.

The girls have a few special things that I want to put up on shelves to keep them displayed but safe.


I originally was going to paint Lucky somewhere on the walls to let people know what the "theme" was but I got "lazy" and decided to just cut him out and tape him up. The curtains were a great find because each curtain has six tabs...perfect for the six charms.

My sister Jodi had made a very cute lampshade for Ankica that had animals on it (which I am saving by the way) so I had a neat lamp to use. One of the things I discovered was glow in the dark paint and I thought it would be neat to outline the shapes on the lampshade with glow in the dark paint. It gives a cool effect in evening.

Before I officially met Julia, I had painted her initals her favorite colors at the time (she was 4)...purple and pink. It turned out SO cool. But unfortunately, one of the letters had become a chew toy for Riley, our German Shepherd dog. Anyway, I was going to make her new ones when Ankica was born, and make Ankica her initials too. So far, I only have Lillian's done :-) I painted them white and then outlined them with dots of the charm colors.



I did the same thing for the white clock on the wall. (Can you say "obsessed with the theme"?)

The final addition yesterday. The original light in the room didn't have a fan and was old and gross. So I painted the white blades of this fan in the wall colors and Loran put it up yesterday. It makes a HUGE difference in the room. I must say I am proud of this room! Look for a post about Julia's Jungle Room in the future!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tera

that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
if we ever get a house, i think i may hire you!

12 days til v-day!
love jo