Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New barns going up

I don't have pictures because I was driving and the girls were sleeping and I have already yelled at Loran for taking pictures with his phone while driving, BUT I saw a neat sight today.

On the way home, I saw about twenty buggies with big yield signs on the back of them in front of the skeleton of a barn. On the skeleton of the barn were about forty men in blue shirts and black pants with black hats. The Amish were working on the third barn on a spot set back from the road a bit.

It made me wonder: what will they have there? There are already two other barns and no livestock as of yet. Do only married Amish men get their own buggies? How do you graduate from getting to drive Dad's horse and buggy to having one of your own? Marriage? maybe. How different are they really from us? I have watched the shows about the Duggers and other families that have lots of kids and other than a few differences in beliefs (admittedly very few) they seem like me. But I wonder about the Amish.

Loran does too. And one day he will find one to possibly befriend. And ask lots of questions. And then we will have some answers. Unless someone out there knows more about them than I do.

I see them almost every day. I would love to know more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tera: you may find this web site interesting:
http://www.mapministry.org/

Laura said...

I am currently ready a book that involves an Amish girl and it has only increased my curiosity about the Amish Community.

One of the things I found interesting is that they don't necessarily despise technology or electric they just don't want to depend on the "English people" for reliance. Of course this is a fiction book so it may not necessarily be accurate, but none the less I thought it was interesting.

I am going to check out the website now.