Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wisconsin is different from Georgia (part 5)

At our house in Columbus, Georgia, Orion (the mighty hunter) would stalk and bring us pieces of palmetto bugs and cockroaches that were bigger than mice. They scurried EVERYWHERE!

A few weeks ago, here in Wisconsin, our mighty hunter deposited something on the carpet next to the table when we were eating. After a quick look, I asked Loran if it was what I thought it was and then requested he dispose of it. There was no head and I am pretty sure no tail, although I didn't want to look to close because Julia really wanted to know what it was (we shielded her from it). Yeah...it was a real mouse (our backyard butts up against a soybean field currently).

So last night, after the girls were asleep, I was typing an email to Loran when I heard a ruckus upstairs. Since the dogs were downstairs, it was either a burglar or the cat. He wears a bell on his collar and I heard him run down the stairs and do a weird jiggy maneuver on the floor, and then another, until he ran in front of Riley, who remained unconcerned (I am rarely concerned if the dogs aren't). But by then I looked up and saw Orion jumping after a mouse! He would do the typical cat thing and jump on it, then let it go, then jump on it again. It hopped around and looked really quite silly (looking back on it) and I froze. Then the mouse and the cat were gone. I heard no more for a while but then the cat came back and sniffed around at the area and cried piteously, which I took to mean that he had lost his prize. Which was actually okay with me, because the last thing that I wanted was the proud hunter to give ME part of his prize.

Needless to say, I was very careful as I walked around the house the rest of the night. I woke up with the cat sleeping on my chest and as I looked down, with my groggy-morning-no glasses eyes, I could have sworn I saw a mouse in his front paws! And then he moved and I realized it was my imagination combined with his normal fur and claws.

Sheesh. What a way to wake up!

No comments: